Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Judgements and Warnings

There's this famous quote by Maya Angelou or Jerry Falwell or the lead singer of the Goo-Goo Dolls (I can't remember who) that I have scribbled in one of my nine thousand Quote Filled Notebooks that goes like this:

WE'VE GOTTEN WHERE WE ARE BY WHAT WE'VE DONE

And EVERY TIME I read it I think of the time my sister and I ripped up the hideous carpet in our apartment off Sweetzer in West Hollywood just to get to the hardwood floors underneath even though our 700 year old landlord told us not to--- we couldn't help ourselves, we HAD to do it---we just ripped it up with our bare hands in the middle of the night like how those vicious crows almost pecked Tippi Hedren to death in The Birds and I just pray that whoever is keeping track can understand that when it comes to This Life's Contentment Ingredients you have to admit that hardwood floors will win, hands down, over creepy 70s barfy carpet anytime.

When in doubt drag it to the dumpster,
Pat the No-Nonsense Interior Designer

6 comments:

The Zadge said...

Oh Pat, you are a girl after my own heart! And I may just steal that quote soon for "Saturday Sayin's"!

Dawn in D.C. said...

Once I painted a wall in the kitchen red in an apartment. I mean dark RED. It took three coats of Kilz to cover it up when I moved. But it was so worth it!

I'd have helped you carry out that old carpet!

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

Everytime my husband and I have been house hunting, one of us distracts the realtor while the other goes to a corner and pulls up the carpet with a key to check the hardwoods out. If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. The universe forgives you. But probably not your sister.

Where the Fur Flies said...

I've never deliberately changed the floors or walls of an apartment, but I spray painted a box in my apartment bathroom once, leaving a permanent banana yellow outline of it on the bathroom floor.

Ya gotta leave your mark on the world somehow.

Cupcake Murphy said...

Literally EVERY TIME we came or went we'd have to open the door half an inch and DART inside so our landlady (who lived upstairs from us) couldn't see that we'd disobeyed her. "Tee hee" is what we were prepared to say, had she caught us. It was like an episode of Murder She Wrote tell ya.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

You were completely within your rights to do that. While house hunting we once looked at a house that had both bicenntenial wallpaper in one bedroom and flocked black velvet in another. I did have to run screaming as I couldn't picture how to get it off. Oddly enough I think they had hardwood floors.